North East Writers Forum
Please sign in or register to get more benefits from this site
North East Writers Forum
Please sign in or register to get more benefits from this site
North East Writers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHomepageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» FROM THE INSIDER'S DEN
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySun 17 Aug 2014, 5:14 pm by NAMRATAPATHAK

» > What is your top 10 favorite movies?
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 1:41 pm by kimeragay

» > Whats your top 10 songs of all time?
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 1:40 pm by kimeragay

» hello
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 1:39 pm by kimeragay

» Australian Mateship
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 12:25 pm by chocolatelover

» "Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 8:14 am by aloneandfree_alien

» "The Dark Mirror" by Juliet Marillier
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyTue 15 Sep 2009, 11:39 am by Guest

» Book of the Month - What is it??
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 3:15 pm by aloneandfree_alien

» The Staff List
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 6:23 am by lucky dice

» Further Rule - ALL FORUM MEMBERS MUST READ!
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyWed 21 May 2008, 1:27 pm by aloneandfree_alien

» What we are doing.
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 9:54 am by lucky dice

» RULES OF CONTENT
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptyMon 18 Feb 2008, 12:38 pm by Guest

» Forum Rules... Please Read Before Posting...
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySun 17 Feb 2008, 12:44 pm by Guest

Top posters
aloneandfree_alien
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_vote_lcap"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_voting_bar"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_vote_rcap 
Lori
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_vote_lcap"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_voting_bar"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman I_vote_rcap 
lucky dice
Hazzza
Emperor Gayson
kimeragay
chocolatelover
School of Arts and Media
NAMRATAPATHAK
Statistics
We have 29 registered users
The newest registered user is ancvins

Our users have posted a total of 16 messages in 15 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 18 on Tue 22 Apr 2008, 8:27 am

"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aloneandfree_alien

aloneandfree_alien

competition Awards : no competitions won
Female
Number of posts : 15
Competition Bar :
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman Left_bar_bleue20 / 10020 / 100"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-13

"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman Empty
PostSubject: "Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman   "Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 8:14 am

I gave this book to a friend for her birthday not too long ago. Upon reading it for the first time (i.e. yesterday), I became immediately jealous and wished that I had kept the book and given her $20 instead.

Neil Gaiman has previously written Stardust, which has been adapted into one of my very favourite films, of the same name. He teamed up some years ago with someone near the top of my long list of favourite authors, Terry Pratchett, to write Good Omens, a parody of sorts of the Apocalypse as foretold by the Bible’s Book of revelations. He also has graphic novels, children’s books and novels to his credit.

Smoke and Mirrors is a collection of short stories, with a few poems thrown in for good measure. There is no particular overall theme, although similarities can be found between several stories; there are a handful of stories based on Biblical tales. They aren’t setting out to condemn or promote religion, but use the ideas to their own advantage. This includes a murder mystery set using angels, and a brief but entertaining take on what could (and should) be the last book of the Bible. For those who haven’t had an upbringing involving the Bible like I have – which was by no means fanatical or detailed – they are merely good stories, but having a little background makes them mean just a little more.

Gaiman is noted for the darkness he brings into even his children’s stories, and Smoke and Mirrors is no exception. There are plenty of vampires and werewolves, brought to life chillingly in a way that restores my faith in monsters in a post-Twilight world. He doesn’t just rely on these, however, sending a cat to battle nightly with the Devil, and a young boy to barter for his life with a troll – not to mention a wonderfully creepy back-to-front version of a fairytale that puts the Disney version to shame.

His poetry, too, is quite dark, though excellently written. It is not poetry with a deep message about humanity, but poetry that paints vivid, haunting images in the mind. And yes, there is one about vampires.

There are lighter pieces too, including the first story of the collection that quickly became one of my favourites – that of an elderly widow who finds the Holy Grail in an op shop. This story combines a fantastically real character with a bizarre and otherworldly plot. One of the hallmarks of Gaiman’s work is that somehow, he succeeds in making this actually work, and well, in just a few pages.

As a writer, this collection is the sort that one can only envy and aspire to. There is so much to admire about Gaiman, from his dark takes on fairytales and humanity’s quirks, to his skill with the words themselves – made especially apparent in his poetry – to his ability to experiment and embrace different ways of putting a story together. He presented many concepts and provoked me to think deeply, even on a weekend. This is something that I admire most in any author – an ability to make a point about the way we live, but disguising it skilfully in a story that you can’t put down. Gaiman delivers all this seemingly effortlessly. Also, in the introduction is a brief note from Gaiman about each of the pieces, explaining inspiration, intention or even the story itself. This is especially interesting to me from a writer’s perspective, and adds an extra dimension to the individual stories when you can turn back and read why they were written in the first place.

From anyone’s perspective, however, Smoke and Mirrors is a collection of fantastically written pieces, suitable for those just discovering Gaiman’s work, or those wishing to discover more. It is perfect to dip into occasionally for a few moments to read a couple of pieces – although I did read it nonstop from start to finish. I would recommend this to fantasy and sci-fi readers, with a warning: strictly MA-15+ for some very adult parts. It would make a valuable addition to anyone’s bookshelf – regrettably, not mine just yet.

Last edited by aloneandfree_alien on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I don't need a reason. I am the Goddess of Editing.)
Back to top Go down

"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman
Page 1 of 1